May 9, 2014 | Posted in:News
According to the IMMI resolution the Ministry of Education and Culture is required to work on the resolution’s progression. On the 3rd of May 2012 the minister put together a steering committee which was tasked with analysing and researching the legal framework both in Iceland and abroad in accordance with the resolution. It’s role is to prepare necessary changes in legislation or implement new laws, looking at legislation abroad in the aim of combining the best set of laws to create a safe haven in Iceland for information freedom and freedom of expression.
STEERING COMMITTTE 2012:
- Ása Ólafsdóttir, chairman, appointed by minister of education and culture, without nomination.
- Davíð Logi Sigurðsson, nominated by the ministry of foreign affairs.
- Elfa Ýr Gylfadóttir, nominated by the committee on media.
- Halla Gunnarsdóttir, nominated by the interior ministry.
- Smári McCarthy, nominated by IMMI.
- Tryggvi Björgvinsson, nominated by the ministry of education and culture.
An employee of the steering committee is, Margrét Magnúsdóttir, lawyer.
STEERING COMMITTEE 2013:
After the parliamentary elections in the spring of 2013 a new Steering Committee was appointed :
- Ása Ólafsdóttir, Chairman, appointed by Minister of Education, Science and Culture
- Aðalheiður Ámundadóttir, nominated by IMMI
- Aðalheiður Þorsteinsdóttir, nominated by Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Elfa Ýr Gylfadóttir, nominated by the Media Commission
- Gísli Valdórsson, nominated by the Interior Ministry
- Páll Þórhallsson, nominated by the Prime Minister’s Office
- Sirrý Hallgrímsdóttir, nominated by the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture
- The employee of the steering committee is Margrét Magnúsdóttir, lawyer